Our cross curricular approach to the curriculum harnesses the interests of the pupils, who provide ideas for the topics covered. This coupled with information from parents, the national curriculum and a progression of skills ensure the children are engaged in learning and make good progress. Visits and visitors enhance the curriculum where possible. The topics the children are covering this term are:
|Stars Class||Moon Class||Sun Class|
|Autumn 2016||All Creatures Great and Small
|Spring 2017||Eggs!||Be a Good Sport||China|
|Summer 2017||Once Upon a Time||Awesome Africa||Helmingham Child
We work in mixed age classes and plan our curriculum to reflect coverage across each key stage. In key stage 1 the national curriculum is covered across 2 years. In key stage 2 the foundation subjects are covered across 4 years and science across 2 years.
These maps show the planned curriculum coverage for 2016-17:
- Year 1 and 2 Foundation Subjects
- Year 1 and 2 Science curriculum
- Year 3 and 4 Foundation Subjects
- Year 3 and 4 Science curriculum
- Year 5 and 6 Foundation Subjects
- Year 5 and 6 Science curriculum
- All the children learn french.
- The reception and key stage 1 children incorporate phonics learning through the Letters and Sounds programme. Oxford Owl explains how to say the phonics sounds.
- A P.E. specialist teacher supports all classes with planning and delivery high quality P.E.
- Key stage 2 children are able to receive woodwind or violin lessons from specialist teachers.
- Our year 6 pupils join two other local primary schools for a residential trip and adventure activities day. The activities they do have included team building, bridge making, high ropes, kayaking and wind surfing.
- We have an outside learning environment where the children do forest schools style activities.
- All our children receive a programme of Personal, Social and Health Education with British Values being promoted.
Staff and parents run a variety of after school and in school clubs. These vary each term and have comprised of homework club, art club, gardening club, country dancing, football and awesome club.
Pupils participate in sporting events against other schools, such as swimming, hockey, football, cross country and cricket. During the year pupils take part in various events (e.g. focus days for gifted and talented pupils, musical events and science days) with other schools in the pyramid and high school.
If you would like more information about our curriculum visit our class pages and gallery or contact us and we will be happy to talk about our curriculum.